Monday, August 31, 2015

Engenho Novo

Elder Hunt with President Farnes in matching suits

Monday-I packed a ton all day and at night we had a Family Home Evening where a bunch of my recent converts came and we shared our testimonies about the Gospel and the difference it has made in our lives. It was very special, spiritual, and heartwarming and it was hard for me to have to leave them there in Itu. That night it rained a ton and the Elders in the zone slept over at our house to catch the early bus to transfers in the morning.

Elder Hunt and Elder Alvis


Tuesday-We headed off to transfers, and I met up with my new comp Elder Messick! I've already done divisions with him in the past, so I've already gotten to know him. He's from Utah and he's 6'6! 

Elder Messick, Marcus' new companion

At the transfer meeting there were 27 new missionaries, the most there has been for a while! Also, I won two more ‘Desire Plates’ because Elder Alvis and I baptized all 6 weeks of the transfer and we baptized more than any other companionship in the mission. 

A view from Elder Hunt's new apartment

New apartment


Afterwards, we got a ride home with all of my bags. Our house is in an apartment building, which sits on the banks of the Tieté River, one of the most polluted rivers in the world. Our home stinks of rotting sewage because of the river being so close. We also live with another set of Elders in our zone, they work in another area really far away. That night we went and worked and I got to know the area a bit.

Elder Hunt and Elder Leite


Wednesday-Today was district meeting, which we started by giving training on how to give better baptismal interviews to all the Elders in the zone who do interviews. Then we did some fun training to hype up the zone, to motivate and excite! 

A yummy sandwich burger type of thing

After, we went had lunch at a member’s restaurant where we eat for free. The whole rest of the day we found news and visited some people who had gone to church the week before. 

Thursday- Today was a similar day to Wednesday without district meeting. I printed some of my baptismal pictures finally too!

The Favella King is Back!

Elder Hunt missed the Favellas

A Tight Squeeze!


Friday-I did a division in an area called Vila Dirce, which is super heavy favella.  I've been missing the favella; it’s good to be back.   ;) I did seven baptismal interviews, which made for a crazy day! I showed up to do all the interviews in my suit, which always makes things interesting. haha. 

NBA Event


Saturday-We followed up with tons of investigators to get them to church on Sunday. We were planning on having two or three baptisms if everything went right. Also, close by there was a huge NBA event going on which looked super cool.  There were a ton of activities and it looked like a lot of fun. I also met a member who has the most missionary family I've ever seen! He told me tons of stories of how Grandpa was a super good friend to his family and how much of a difference he made in their lives. It was so nice to hear. :) 

Elder Hunt's new area


Sunday-We organized all our rides to pick up our investigators; we went to pick them all up and no one was home. :( We didn’t get anyone to church despite our hard work throughout the week. Our baptisms also fell. :( Meaning that I stopped baptizing on my 12 week streak. :( Very sad.

BUT, our zone baptized 11, breaking the old record of 34 which was set by my trainer Elder Medina; we hit 37! :) This is the 3rd month straight that my zone has baptized the most in the mission. But 37 is not nearly enough, this month of September we need to work harder than ever to get over 40! 


Photos of New Area in Engenho Novo




It's tough sometimes, but the most important thing is that every single day we get the privilege to represent the Lord Jesus Christ and His church, no matter the rejection or the let downs- because we have the truth, and it will be spread in all nations and all tongues! I honestly feel like there is no better thing than being a missionary! :)

Colorado Street sign!


 Also, my new area is very urban.  There are little bits of favella here and there, but it is a great area with a great ward.  I am very excited to be here in Engenho Novo and Zona Alphaville!


Elder Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment